Improvements to the Free Language Translator

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2008 at 7:15 PM
This is an invitation to submit newrequests for features and bug reports.
Nov 21, 2008 at 7:02 PM
Excellent tool, the only thing is that everytime you try to translate with the button rather than pressing f5 you have to say yes or no to contributing, and im a bit concerned why it shows the serial numbers to my windows and office in the about tab
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM
That popup should not show up more than once during one session.
The serial numbers are there for your convenience when certain Microsoft updates require it in order to curb piracy.
Dec 18, 2008 at 12:31 PM
Hello,
I quite fun using the tool.
I've purchased the similar tool from one dishonest coder and sell me incomplete version.
Grab my money and run away, shit.

Decebal, how can I contact you?
I've a copy of the version which may helpful in your future development.
Let me know.

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:35 PM
Hi dmihailescu !
The first i want to say "Thanks you so much" for this tools. It's really nice.
And one thing, can u public source code of WebLanguageUtils.dll ?
Please keep up your works

Thanks again
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2008 at 8:16 PM
Edited Dec 19, 2008 at 3:35 PM
Tom,
Unfortunately the source code from weblanguageutils.dll is not entirely my own and I am not at liberty to disclose it because of its license.
That my change in the future if I get the permission or if I write myself the same functionality.
Dec 18, 2008 at 8:50 PM
Dear dmihailescu !
Thanks for your answer, else one question. Here is possible way to Add Auto Detect Languages to this tool ?
Best regards..

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2008 at 2:58 PM
VicentCode,
If the license allows it and if there are any usefull features you can sent it at dmihailescu@gmail.com.
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2008 at 3:34 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Tom,
It is possible to auto detect, but I don't see it as an important feature for most people.
If you want, you can try to implement it yourself, and here are some ideas:

If you can rule out a language like English for example, you can run a translation for each of the other N – 1 languages as source and the target as your ‘ruled out language’ and pick the translation with the highest Levensthein distance (on source -> translation, not source ->reverse translation) as being the likely original language, since a Google translation tends to leave words unchanged if it does not understand them.

If you can not rule out any language, than you’ll end up running N*N -N language combinations to pick the likely winner, and that’s going to last very long.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:43 PM
Edited Dec 19, 2008 at 4:01 PM
Dear dmihailescu
Almost friends of my company using your translator tool every days . And all has same question , why in this fantasic tool not have Auto Detect Languages.
I believed if u can update this function in next version will be very nice.
Just my 2 cents

* i not have a paypal acc. I want sent to u some moneys from me and my friends for keep up your works. Please contact me with tom_codon142@hotmail.com or tom_codon142@yahoo.com for details , and how i can do it for u !
Best regards..!

Tom
Coordinator
Jan 5, 2009 at 5:36 PM
Fortunately Google had an API that implemented the auto detect functionality.
That saved me some work and also the time waiting for results comming back for each language checked against.
The latest changes are in the 1.81 version.
Aug 18, 2009 at 12:16 AM

A few suggestions ( I don't know if they are implementable or not):

1) enable webpage translation;

2) allow comparisons of translations from other online services;

3) "micro-translations" (highlighting text in one pane would highlight equivalent text in the other pane.  E.g., your first post in this discussion translates into Spanish as: "Esta es una invitación a presentar nuevas solicitudes de prestaciones y los informes de error."  If I had trouble figuring out what "solicitudes" meant, then all I would have to do is highlight it and "requests" would become highlighted in the original text.  This would be more helpful for longer texts, especially for those who are trying to learn or become more proficient in another language); and,

4) this falls into the "more fun than functional" category, but allow chain translations, for example, English > Russian > Spanish > Japanese > English.

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:46 PM

1. Global hotkeys

For example Ctrl + C +C. After that translate things which where copied to buffer. (Google Translate Client and Lingvo have such thing)

2. Better single word translation

If I provide only one word for translation than translate using Google Dictionary(which returns more data) instead of Translate.

Personally I will be satisfied with raw JSON as answer.

3. Use statistics for word correction

When I type word incorrectly Google Search advise me probably right word. May be it is possible to use it for thing like word correction.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Great program, some requests:

1) maintain the format of the original text in the translation: paragraph sentance and line breaks, if possible italicization bolding underline point size etc.

2) having a moveable windows that can "hover" over any other window and translate the text in it, for example allow the user to move the window over a word document or PDF file or open web page and the user can read the translation as they browse the document

3) make a downloadable package that will allow the program to work off-line